Maya - Defeats

“You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”

Monday, March 17, 2014

Happiness Dock

In the prior post yesterday, we spoke about happiness (and peace). Sometimes, they go hand in hand; however, some people are thriving and happy as a lark in more "chaos" (active and bouncing lifestyle) than other people. This doesn't necessarily mean that they inherit the same sense of happiness that the more deliberate folks do. Happiness can, in a sense, be relative and subjective to one's preference of things that they do which bring them a sense of great happiness.

Jim Hunt, a cartoonist that I have been following over the course of the years had this cartoon posted on facebook the other day, with a quote by the great Andy Rooney (from 60 minutes on CBS fame):


This becomes ever so important when discussing happiness, especially with respect to discussing surrounding relationships. Take a moment to examine your here and now. Where are you happiest? Is it at home, or elsewhere? What makes you happiest when you are at your happy place? What is making you happy there? Likewise, take a look at the place that is making you unhappy and take notes on what is making yourself so unhappy?

If that unhappy place is your work or home, it makes it harder to just walk away from those locations because you have other factors that are involved with those locations. In your home it would be your family/roommates that would be living with you; at work, it would be your co-workers (etc), including the paycheck that helps you to pay for your rental or mortgage where you live. Now, I don't always advocate that you must leave that behind you; however, if that location is a place where there is someone or something that is producting some harmful effects on your body/health (even if it isn't physical and "just" emotional), one would probably need to take a look at whether or not it is a good time to leave. Sometimes, leaving a harmful relationship can be more volatile that staying; or, at work, you may want time to get your paycheck(s) to save up for monthly living expenses and/or just try to see that you can get a transfer to another department, for example, where the danger would be less present for you.

There are so many decision making possibilities that one can take on one's life journey at that point in time and I would be happy to discuss those possibilities with you more in depth to help guide you with that process. (Just set up a consultation appointment by pressing the SCHEDULE button to the right to make that happen.)

For me, the cartoon also reminds me how sometimes I find myself sitting in my recliner (keeping my feet elevated, especially after a lot of activities that wore me out) and looking out the window. I envision that a huge cruise ship is passing by my window with folks on it laughing and dancing and shouting with glee, while I am still sitting in the recliner. I find that I get frustrated by the limitations that I have these days with my lymphedema condition, but, when I see that cruise ship, I'm charged up and my mind begins spinning and wondering "What's next?" in my endeavors.

Today, seeing that cartoon, I'm looking at myself and wondering at which dock my "cruise ship" (that keeps passing by my window (figuratively)) that ship will be docking upon. Where is my life heading to next? That's when I do my check-ins and assess and re-assess my goals and ambitions and determine what my future may possibly look at. I've reach my 5 year goals that I set for myself 5 years ago. What about you? Are you where you had envisioned yourself? What are some of the things that you can do to make that happen?

Hoping that you are having a great morning and start of the new day/week ahead. Think about the dock today. Are you heading towards it or away from it? Will you get off at that dock, even if it does stop briefly there, or will you be continue to head to the next destination? And, if you opt for the next destination, is that really going to make you all that much happier than if you got off at the first destination?

A lot to think about, I know. Let me know what your are thinking!




No comments:

Post a Comment